Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sample yarns 3 from TKGSH


Sample yarns 3 Posted by Picasa

These sample yarns were included in our bags on the day of the shop hop. I knitted them up, and once again will tell you what I think of them. I'm not a yarn critic, just letting you know my feelings as I knit them. By row, left to right:

Artful Yarns Regal (100% Silk) - This yarn was impressive. It was silky soft luxuriousness...I wish I had more of it to knit. It looks stunning, but so is the price tag.
EDIT: I've been shown that this yarn has about twice the amount of yarn as most silks do, and I didn't see that previously. So, for twice the yarn at the same price, this is actually an INCREDIBLE deal. I think I'll go get some now!

Art Yarns Supermerino (100% Hand Painted Merino Wool) - This had great stitch definition, but didn't really stand out.

Louisa Harding Impression ( 84% Nylon, 16% Mohair) - This was inspiring and gorgeous! Fuzzy with iridescent notes that really makes it unique.

Jo Sharp Silkroad (85% Wool, 10% Silk, 5% Cashmere) - This yarn was very interesting. It had a slight nubbly texture to it, but still very soft.

Karabella Yarns Aurora 8 (100% Extra refined Merino Wool) - This yarn was soft and luxurious with excellent stitch definition. Something this beautiful shouldn't be this soft....but it is!

GGH Soft Kid (70% Super Kid Mohair, 25% Nylon, 5% Wool) - This was fuzzy and lofty. Knitted up it looks so delicate and feminine. I see this in a gorgeous wrap or as a beautiful scarf.

Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock (100% Superwash Merino lightweight) - This local company has made some incredible yarns. I picked some of this up for myself on our shop hop adventure. This is such a plesant knit and they have the most beautiful colorways. Very inventive and inspiring.

Lang Yarn Pearl (42% Kid Mohair, 54% Acrylic, 4% Polyester) - This was so much fun to knit! It is soft but also iridescent. I would love a great shawl made from this. Also, machine washable!

Louet Sales Euroflax (100% Linen) - This was everything I expected it to be. It was a bit like knitting with twine, as it was very stiff. It split on me a few times, but this is pretty much like most linens I've knit with.

Nashua Handknits Creative Focus (75% Wool, 25% Alpaca) - I could feel the warmth on my hands as I knit with this fuzzy and fun yarn. It has great stitch definition and is very beautiful.

Louet Gems Opal (100% Pure Merino Wool) - This yarn was not my favorite. It is soft like I expect any Merino to be, but it was smelly. You all know how much I abhor smelly yarns. It was a "natural" smell, but not what I like to smell on my hands.

Louisa Harding Sari Ribbon (90% Nylon, 10% Metallic) - This split pretty easily, but it was so much fun to knit with! I think this would be great for embellishments.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Karen said...

Whoa, Heather, what a lot of test knitting! Thanks for the honest report on these yarns. It was fun to meet you on the Shop Hop!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Michelle Lim said...

Hey Heather,
I just clicked through from Karen's Twoswans site and saw the cool samples you knit up. Glad to see that you're using them!

Close Knit made sure to mention to me that the Regal Art Silk has yardage - I think 163 yards ? So, for the price tag, it's not a bad price. Most silk skeins only have about 80 yds or so. so, this is a deal! and handpainted too.
of course, the debt is softened by the 15% discount coupon they've extended to us.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by KnittnChick Knits.
[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]