Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Stash Enhacement eXpedition


Stash Enhancement eXpedition Posted by Picasa

Hubby and I went to the Mill End store and found the divine at 20% off. I love to use divine to make scarves. The wool is for a fulling project, and of course the sock yarn is for.....socks. I bought another sock yarn color, but it is on the needles at the moment. I'll put up a picture shortly.

I love reading knitting blogs, and I love to see what everyone is doing, and how they've put their blog together. I'm not a HTML wizard, so unfortunately I cannot do all the fancy things that many people do. Many bloggers are more advanced knitters, too. Sometimes I feel frustrated when reading the blogs, and see how they produce so much beautiful knitting quickly and easily. Am I envious? Of course! I hope to someday get to that level with my knitting. I've been knitting for probably five years now, but it was solely to reduce stress. I wasn't always making anything in particular. I've got a sack full of squares. They weren't knitted for an afghan or for anything at all. They were just things for me to knit. Now though, I am hoping to actually make beautiful things. I find that it is helpful if I have a mindless project going at the same time as a more challenging one so that if I get frustrated with the challenging one, I can go back to the mindless one for stress relief.

At the Mill End store I bought Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's "At Knit's End, Meditations for women who knit too much" AKA The Yarn Harlot....I absolutely love this book. All of my knitting books before this one have been strictly how-to and pattern books. This is a complete joy to read! There is one page in particular that has helped with my blog envy:

There is one knitter in my guild who is a wonder. Her work is always incredible, her stitches even, her sense of color perfection. She gives workshops and people line up to get in, anxious to elevate their knitting to her level. At one workshop she was explaining that we should all strive for absolutely even stitches. Your work, properly done, should look like it was machine knit. The knitter next to me heaved a sigh and quietly muttered, "Honestly, why wouldn't I just get a knitting machine?" Knitting is a human activity. It's okay if it looks like humans did it.

I guess that I need to enjoy my own flaws as much as my accomplishments.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen Marie said...

Well, I'm fairly new at knitting, and I can say for sure that my creations look totally "hand-knit" -- nothing like a machine produced object of perfection. ha ha. I am still trying to manuever the needles with grace and effortless motion, but I fumble along and end up making a lot of scarves, dishcloths and baby blankets... but someday I'm going to make something truly glorious! :) I enjoyed reading your post, and I will check back again to read more.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.

List Sites in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
This site in the Free Knitting Patterns Netring
is owned by KnittnChick Knits.
[ Previous | Next | Random Site | List Sites | Join ]